I'm a Design Director with experience ranging from leading and building teams for major media companies, to being the sole designer handling UX/UI, product and marketing design for a lean startup focused on millennials. Expert in designing for content and media, ecommerce and branding, I'm especially passionate about working with product teams and entrepreneurs to make tools that are useful and solve problems.
My background includes expertise in creative direction, visual storytelling, strategy and team management with hands-on experience across product, marketing, design, e-commerce, social media and editorial platforms for major media, commerce and tech companies.
I’m passionate about creating clean, usable product experiences that are delightful and intuitive. I enjoy working on challenges and building products that solve problems and grow engagement. Everything should make sense.
I’m a critical thinker, a "get to action" team member, and I consider design as it relates to the needs of the business, including how product enhancements tie in with brand awareness and consumer marketing initiatives.
- Creative direction, branding across media platforms and social media.
- Leading teams and partnering directly with product leaders, developers and stakeholders.
- Strategy and big-picture thinking, problem-solving, sketching ideas and workflows.
- Specialized in UI design and direction for product-driven, content and e-commerce websites, with experience in UX processes and deliverables.
- Web content, enhancements and template design.
- Component workflows, Atomic Design.
- Project and team planning and organization, workflows.
- 10+ years in high level design, management, editing and illustration for major web and media players.
- Loves: e-commerce, editorial, gift guides, consumer trends, food, home, DIY, art, tech & gadgets, small business and startups, pop culture, entertainment, fashion, and beauty.
- Tools: Sketch, Photoshop, Slack, Marvel, Invision, Conceptboard, InDesign, Bridge, Keynote, Powerpoint, Basecamp, Wordpress, hand sketching, experience with CSS, HTML email design, proprietary web publishing and CMS systems.
May 2015 – present
New York, New York
Levo is the #1 professional network for millennials to find their purpose, tell their story, make meaningful connections and discover a career they’re passionate about.
Strategize, build and refine design of Levo's web and IOS products and brand, partnering closely with product team and stakeholders. Hired and managed full creative team.
Working quickly and with minimal requirements, we’ve enhanced the overall product UX/UI, introduced new features to personalize the user experience, and created tools to enable user generated content and expanded conversations, resulting in higher engagement rates and time spent on site.
Introduced dashboard improvements, adding user statistics, profile completeness and daily updates. Conceived onboarding and invite flow experiences for new users, defined the user journey, including Profile awareness and invitations, and supported product and marketing requirements for iOS app, emails and editorial content.
Working with our front-end team, we're transitioning Levo to an atomic design workflow, emphasizing component structures and reusable layouts so that we can iterate and build more products, more efficiently.
Senior Visual Designer, Sitewide Team
May 2014 – May 2015 (1 year)
New York, New York
Design Macys.com homepage and emails, partnering with marketing, copy and creative production teams. Promote major market-share events and Omnichannel brand initiatives with consistent designs aimed at engaging and delighting the Macy’s customer.
Delivered significant year-over-year increase in sales and conversions for Cyber Monday and Black Friday with new usability designs for homepages and emails.
Contributed to experimental email initiatives resulting in higher conversion rates.
DailyCandy.com / NBCUniversal
Creative Team Lead & Senior Designer
April 2011 – April 2014 (3 years)
New York, New York
Directed design of mobile, desktop, social and email products for editorial, e-commerce and marketing groups, managing team of designers and photographers while working closely with product team on new digital products, prototypes, UX/UI enhancements, e-commerce and branded content initiatives, email, mobile and brand initiatives.
• Creative direction and design of editorial, product, marketing, e-commerce and sponsored content including landing pages, sitewide enhancements, online and offline event activations.
• Designed and delivered full e-commerce site in 16 weeks, working from wireframes to final site enhancements; developed all branding initiatives and editorial integration with main DailyCandy site.
• Directed full site redesign which contributed to 32% YOY increase in page views, 23% increase in time spent on site and 35% increase in email open rates.
• Recruited, built and managed photo team and photographers in 13 U.S. cities, creating original photography for all markets as DailyCandy transitioned into its expanded role as a media company.
• Developed interactive packages, templates, sitelets and branded content design for editorial and advertising clients, expanding publishing tools and creating new revenue opportunities.
• Increased social reach and interactions with custom-branded designs for Pinterest and Facebook initiatives for editorial, E-commerce and advertiser shareholders.
DailyCandy on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/dailycandy/pins/.
DailyCandy on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DailyCandy.
Managed photo budget, worked with senior photo editor on annual projections, managed approvals.
Stylelist.com / AOL
Fashion, Style and Celebrity Photo Editor
June 2010 – April 2011 (1 year)
New York, New York
Photo editor for AOL’s fashion, beauty and celebrity website, stylelist.com. Produced high-traffic slideshows with 500k – 1M+ PVs: celebrity style evolutions, Fashion Week coverage, red-carpet events, awards shows, holiday gift guides, beauty makeovers, product showcases.
Increased and showcased original photography on site with direction of product and on-figure photo shoots, hiring photographers for celebrity photoshoots and events including Holiday Gift Guides, street style and makeover features.
Dowden Custom Media
October 2008 – April 2010 (1 year 7 months)
Montvale, New Jersey
As Design Director, managed six art directors and designers to create more than 150 custom consumer magazines per quarter for hospitals throughout the country. Focus on creative operations, collaboration with editors and clients for new project designs, refinements, management of workflows, quality control, budgetary considerations, photo editing and data management.
Implemented cost saving measures including 45% cost reduction on stock photography through contract negotiation. Created browsable in-house web gallery catalog of complete stock library, literally turning binders and a file cabinet full of cd's into a fully digitized, browsable in-house stock library. Purchases of new photography decreased by more than 50% because designers now had easier access to existing assets. Recognized need for additional client offerings and introduced designers to HTML email design and training, resulting in new revenue streams from multiple major clients.
New York Daily News
Senior Art Director for Features; Sunday News Art Director
October 1997 – October 2008 (11 years)
New York, New York
Led team of 8 art directors for all Feature pages and Sunday entertainment magazine, reaching an audience of more than 1M readers every day. Designed pages on deadline for News Desk for seven years. Directed studio photo shoots for product, on-figure and editorial photography.
- Developed design and templates highlighting quick, readable and engaging news and features stories.
- Redefined role of designers, aligning to News desk: actively participating in planning meetings, making story and presentation suggestions, determining placement and emphasizing design and photography.
- Designed page one, news pages, infographics and special sections for award-winning investigative series and breaking news events: coverage of 9/11 attacks, presidential elections and major political, celebrity, sports and local news stories.
- Implemented creative production enhancements, new technologies and asset management.
- Emphasized training in new media best practices for all designers, helping them shift to digital workflow.