I love working as part of a tight-knit product team and having a seat at the table with stakeholders to strategize next steps. I am happiest when I'm collaborating with product managers, engineers and marketers, helping build new concepts or working to improve an existing product.
I’m passionate about creating clean, usable product experiences that are delightful and intuitive. I enjoy working on challenges and building products that solve problems and grow engagement. Everything should make sense.
- I’m a critical thinker, a straight talker, and I consider design as it relates to the needs of the business, including how product enhancements tie in with brand awareness and consumer marketing initiatives.
- Creative direction, branding across media platforms and social media.
- Leading teams and partnering directly with product leaders, developers and stakeholders.
- Strategy and big-picture thinking, problem-solving, sketching ideas and workflows.
- Specialized in UI design and direction for product-driven, content and e-commerce websites, with experience in UX processes and deliverables.
- Web content, enhancements and template design.
- Component workflows, Atomic Design.
- Project and team planning and organization, workflows.
- 10+ years in high level design, management, editing and illustration for major web and media players.
- Loves: e-commerce, editorial, gift guides, consumer trends, food, home, DIY, art, tech & gadgets, small business and startups, pop culture, entertainment, fashion, and beauty.
- Tools: Sketch, Slack, Invision, Conceptboard, Photoshop, InDesign, Bridge, Keynote, Powerpoint, Basecamp, Wordpress, hand sketching, experience with CSS, HTML email design, proprietary web publishing and CMS systems.
May 2015 – present
New York, New York
Levo is the #1 professional network for millennials, where millions of users a month come to find their purpose, tell their story, make meaningful connections, learn to be excellent, and discover a career they’re passionate about.
I joined the team just as a major product launch was underway, an amazing opportunity to evolve the company’s visual brand and define the visual direction for marketing to promote these new improvements.
Strategize, build and refine design of Levo products and brand, partnering with developers, stakeholders, product leaders. Hired full creative team.
Working quickly and with minimal requirements, we’ve enhanced the overall product UX/UI, making user profiles easier to start and complete, more engaging to view, and more robust as a storytelling tool. Levo’s consumer engagement rate has never been higher, and users who engage with their profile remain active users at a much higher rate.
Introduced dashboard improvements, adding user statistics, profile completeness and daily updates. Conceived onboarding and invite flow experiences for new users, defined the user journey, including Profile awareness and invitations, and supported product and marketing requirements for iOS app, emails and editorial content.
Working with our front-end team, we're transitioning Levo to an atomic design workflow, emphasizing component structures and reusable layouts so that we can iterate quickly and build more products, more efficiently.
Senior Visual Designer, Sitewide Team
May 2014 – May 2015 (1 year)
New York, New York
Design Macys.com homepage and emails, partnering with marketing, copy and creative production teams. Promote major market-share events and Omnichannel brand initiatives with consistent designs aimed at engaging and delighting the Macy’s customer.
Delivered significant year-over-year increase in sales and conversions for Cyber Monday and Black Friday with new usability designs for homepages and emails.
Contributed to experimental email initiatives resulting in higher conversion rates.
DailyCandy.com / NBCUniversal
Creative Lead, Senior Art Director, UI and Visual Designer
April 2011 – April 2014 (3 years)
New York, New York
Creative direction and design of editorial content including package pages/microsites, modules, slideshows, marquees and social activations.
Work directly with product team, IA and developers on prototypes and new digital products, as well as designs for UI and UX improvements for website, commerce initiatives, email and mobile.
Lead design and photo teams through major site redesign and implementation, including art direction for all site visuals including editorial and custom sales content.
Concept and collaborate with editors and managers at every level, across multiple departments (editorial, sales, marketing, product, commerce.)
Design and art direction of full e-commerce site, working from wireframes through to final site enhancements, including tiered single-page checkout and integrated shopping modules throughout full site.
Social media visual strategy and innovations, specifically targeting higher Pinterest engagement for increased UV’s and overall shares.
Custom sales program design activations for major advertising clients including package pages/microsites, co-branded and sponsored content, custom email designs and social media promotions.
Oversee photo budget, work with senior photo editor on annual projections, manage approvals.
Event planning, environmental design layout and setup, print and digital signage for large DailyCandy brand events as well as custom sponsored sales events for clients including Canon and Suave.
Stylelist.com / AOL
Fashion, Style and Celebrity Photo Editor
June 2010 – April 2011 (1 year)
New York, New York
Photo editor for AOL’s fashion, beauty and celebrity website, stylelist.com. Produced high-traffic slideshows with 500k – 1M+ PVs: celebrity style evolutions, Fashion Week coverage, red-carpet events, awards shows, holiday gift guides, beauty makeovers, product showcases.
Increased and showcased original photography on site with direction of product and on-figure photo shoots, hiring photographers for events including Holiday Gift Guides, street style and makeover features.
Dowden Custom Media
October 2008 – April 2010 (1 year 7 months)
Montvale, New Jersey
As Design Director, managed six art directors and designers to create more than 150 custom consumer magazines per quarter for hospitals throughout the country. Focus on creative operations, collaboration with editors and clients for new project designs, refinements, management of workflows, quality control, budgetary considerations, photo editing and data management.
Implemented cost saving measures including 45% cost reduction on stock photography through contract negotiation. Created browsable in-house web gallery catalog of complete stock library, literally turning binders and a file cabinet full of cd's into a fully digitized, browsable in-house stock library. Purchases of new photography decreased by more than 50% because designers now had easier access to existing assets. Recognized need for additional client offerings and introduced designers to HTML email design and training, resulting in new revenue streams from multiple major clients.
New York Daily News
Senior Art Director for Features; Sunday News Art Director
October 1997 – October 2008 (11 years)
New York, New York
Led team of 8 art directors for all Feature pages and Sunday entertainment magazine, reaching an audience of more than 1M readers every day. Designed pages on deadline for News Desk for seven years. Directed studio photo shoots for product, on-figure and editorial photography.
- Developed design and templates highlighting quick, readable and engaging news and features stories.
- Redefined role of designers, aligning to News desk: actively participating in planning meetings, making story and presentation suggestions, determining placement and emphasizing design and photography.
- Designed page one, news pages, infographics and special sections for award-winning investigative series and breaking news events: coverage of 9/11 attacks, presidential elections and major political, celebrity, sports and local news stories.
- Implemented creative production enhancements, new technologies and asset management.
- Emphasized training in new media best practices for all designers, helping them shift to digital workflow.
The News & Observer
News and Page One Designer
1996 – 1997 (18 months)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Designed daily news pages and Sunday front pages. Sunday package planning, redesign of the weekly television guide, development of weekly zoned schools pages, training of new staffers.
The Times of Northwest Indiana
News Designer, TV Book Editor
1994 – 1996 (2 years)
Designed and edited news, wire and feature pages, including copy editing and headline writing. Also, TV Book Editor, responsible for all editorial content, design and production of weekly full-color, 40-page magazine. Twice awarded Best TV Guide in the Nation by TV Data.
1993 – 1994 (1 year)
New York, New York
Designed materials including in-store signage, coupons and promotional brochures for marketing company with clients including Hill’s Science Diet, Western Union and Castrol.